Historic Township of Port Albert
Port Albert, Victorias first established port, is the original gateway to Gippsland. It was settled in 1841 following the wreck of the paddle steamer Clonmel, and the arrival of Angus McMillan, seeking a port for shipping cattle from the lush hinterland. Port Albert was the supply port for Gippslands pioneers until the completion of the Melbourne-Sale railway in 1878. It has berthed ships from Europe and America and welcomed thousands of Chinese on their way to the goldfields.
Still a commercial fishing port, Port Alberts reputation for recreational fishing, with its waters protected by 30 small islands, sees its population swell considerably during summer. The quaint fishing village is off the beaten track and, more than 40 buildings in a Georgian and Victorian architectural style still exist. Recent development in Port Albert has seen the opening of quality cafes, an award winning general store and the newly opened fish & chips on the wharf.